Design, in its ubiquitous and inter-disciplinary sense, is one of the fastest growing areas of research, education and practice. However, while there are numerous awards for practitioners of design (i.e. designers), there are very few awards to acknowledge and honour outstanding researchers and educators of design. ICON3 awards are a small step to addressing this gap.
Starting from the year 2015, the biennial International Conference series on Research into Design (ICoRD), the first and currently the largest international conference in India in this area, plans to introduce two biennial awards in the area of design research and education. The awards are called ICONNN Awards. The acronym ICONNN (pronounced as the word 'icon' is pronounced) stands for: ICoRD Outstanding Contribution to desigN scieNce and educatioN.
Each award shall carry the names of two iconic figures in design education and/or research, as below:
The awards are open to individuals from any country, and are to be conferred at each ICoRD on two individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of research and/or education in the area of design.
The awards will be chosen using the following process. Nomination for the awards will be solicited from members of the various committees of ICoRD. An Awards committee will be constituted with the following as members: ICoRD Programme Chair, Conference Chair (if different from Programme Chair), and a representative each from its Committee of Co-chairs, Steering Committee, Advisory Committee, and Organising Committee. This Awards committee will be responsible for making the final decision on the award. Self-nomination will not be allowed. Once the decision is made, ICoRD Organizing Committee will invite the awardees to attend the relevant ICoRD so as to be felicitated in person, subject to fulfilment of the following conditions:
- ICONNN awards will be conferred only on those, selected by the Decision Committee, who agree, and are able, to attend the relevant ICORD to be felicitated in person. No ICONNN award will be conferred in absentia.
- Each ICONNN awardee will be invited to, and expected to deliver, an ICONNN keynote in an area of his/her choice at the relevant ICoRD.
For ICoRD'17, the ICONNN award will comprise the following:
- Travel support for attending ICoRD'17.
- Book coupons worth 1000 Euro for buying Springer books (sponsored by Springer India).
- Local hospitality for attending the ICoRD'17.
- A Citation and a memento designed exclusively for ICONNN awards.
- Registration waiver for attending ICoRD'17.