Introduction: schools of psychology: pre-scientific era, structuralism, functionalism, associationism, behaviourism, gestalt psychology, psychoanalysis, humanistic & extistential psychology, cognitive psychology, fields, emerging fields; Physiological foundations of cognition: peripheral & central nervous systems, impulse transmission, brain imaging & basic neural processes, perceptual processes: vision, audition & other senses; Cognitive development: during infancy, early childhood, later childhood, adolescence, adulthood & old age, cognitive dissonance and cognitive framework in self-attribution; learning & cognition: basic learning processes- habituation, conditioning: classical & operant, cognitive learning, avoidance learning, punishment, generalization & discrimination, concept learning, verbal, motor learning and transfer of learning; Memory: basic neural operations, systems: sensory, STM, organization in STM, working memory, phonological Loop, visuo-spatial sketch pad, LTM, levels of processing, implicit vs. explicit memory, autobiographical memory, constructive memory, measurement of retention, forgetting, theories, improving memories and loss of memory; Language & cognition: language elements, meaning & concepts, pragmatics, verbal & nonverbal communication and psycholinguistics; Thinking: level of processing approach, role of symbols, images & language, concept attainment, problem solving: strategies & stages, reasoning, stages of creative thinking, artificial intelligence.
1. M. Eysenck and M. T. Keane, Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook, 4 th Ed, Psychology Press, 2000.
2. M. W. Eysenck, Principles of Cognitive Psychology, 2 nd Ed, Psychology Press, 2001.
3. J.P. Das, The Working Mind, Sage Publications
1. A. Parker, E. L. Wilding and T. J. Bussey, The Cognitive Neuroscience of Memory, Psychology Press, 2002.
2. B. Rapp, The Handbook of Cognitive Neuropsychology, Psychology Press, 2000.
3. J. B. Best, Cognitive Psychology, 5 th Ed, Wiley, 1998.
Academic Complex Block F Department of Humanities and Social Sciences Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati Guwahati, Assam, 781039 India